Wednesday, April 04, 2012

From the Mouth of Sofia (In Love Edition)

Thursday night I called home to say that I would be coming back late (I had a closing the next day) so they shouldn’t wait for me to put Sofia down or have dinner.  Yia Yia put Sofia on the phone to tell me good night, and Sofia proceeded to tell me an interesting story about what happened to her that day.  

Sofia: Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Um, ok, um, today at school Lucas and I were bookmarking and he asked me to marry him and I said yes!

As you can imagine, my first thought was, holy crap, am I in my mid-fifties already? Since when is she even interested in boys, much less accepting proposals of marriage?

Me: So you’re going to marry Lucas?

Sofia: Uh-huh!  He asked me to marry him and I said yes and now we’re in looooove.

Call me old-fashioned, but I tend to think that love should precede a marriage proposal; if not love, then at least some degree of mutually expressed tolerance for the other person, typically coupled with ancillary monetary and/or sexual benefits. However, who am I to question modern romance?

Me: Wow, that’s great, Sofia. If Lucas were a gentleman he would have come to speak to me first and made his intentions known, but so be it. So when are you two going to get married?

Sofia: Um, when we’re 10 ½.

I was trying really hard not to laugh out loud on the phone, but she was making it awfully difficult.

Me: 10 ½, huh? Don’t you want to be a bit older when you get married? Why not wait a little longer, sweetie?

Sofia: Ok, Daddy. We’ll wait until we’re 20.

Me: How about you finish college first, and then we’ll talk about your getting hitched?

Sofia: Ok, Daddy. Good night!

The next morning when I woke her up, the conversation continued, only this time the events had changed slightly. 

Me: So, Lucas asked you to marry him yesterday?

Sofia: Well, um, Daddy, we were bookmarking together, and I asked Lucas to marry me and he said ‘yes’ and now we’re in love.

Ok, so she may have embellished her initial story a bit by saying that she was on the receiving end of the proposal rather than the person doing the proposing, but at least it’s refreshing to see how progressive my daughter is when it comes to romance. This was almost a week ago, and she’s still absolutely giddy at the idea of being in love, which I find both entertaining and (I’ll admit) slightly unsettling. Her teacher, however, finds the whole thing amusing, texting me on Monday that Sofia and Lucas have been inseparable in class since Friday.

Lucas’ birthday party is coming up soon … at a karate dojo.  Depending on how high a belt he is, I may have to have a serious talk with the young man about his intentions.

1 comment:

Hillary Norris said...

hahaha! That is a great story! I love the fact that they are going to wait until they are 10 1/2.